quivering through sun-drunken delight

Monday, August 22, 2005

Stellar matters: "light seeking light doth light of light beguile"

There's much afoot these days, but little interesting; therefore this space will be commensurately uninteresting for the duration. I just thought I'd like to get a head-start: one less thing to worry about working/not-working on the other end. So not so much time for the stuff we like: καιρος πολεμου και καιρος ειρηνης, but I promise καιρος πολεμου will be back.

("A time for war and a time for peace," by the way. Eventually I'll figure out how to make the putative erudition less obtrusive. πολεμου, polemou, cognate with polemic.)

Saw a play the other day: Love's Labour's Lost at the local Shakespeare festival, Bard on the Beach. They've got an idyllic setting with professional production and a few actors who can be relied upon to turn in a good performance. Even when I can't manage to get to the opera I still see more than one play there each summer: a very agreeable custom.

I had planned actually to see all four offered this year but it seems, alas, that I won't be seeing As You Like It after all, since it's sold out for the balance of the season and I don't have tickets. It was to be the first I was to see this year; that got postponed unavoidably at the last moment; then I was to see it with a different party and hence cancelled with the first; then organisation broke down with the Party the Second; meanwhile I arranged to see the remaining play on the schedule with Party the Third, having determined to see Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead with Party the First; now I even have tickets for Hamlet with Party the First but no tickets with Party the Second because it's sold out. In other words, if I weren't telling this story chronologically, Party the Second would not be Party the Second.

Part of Party the Third
Part of Party the Third
Since Party the First is so proactive you might wonder how Party the Third even got their foot in the door. The answer is that Party the First was not interested in seeing this particular play. Apparently it's a somewhat vulgar comedy, inferior in this regard even say to Merry Wives of Windsor. On the other hand, this one doesn't have a clown prancing around masquerading as John Falstaff, as Harold Bloom suggests happened in that one. Speaking of Harold Bloom, he has many fine things to say about Love's Labour's Lost, specifically about the splendour of the language, which is why I wanted to see it anyway. For myself I thoroughly enjoyed the evening, modulo one gag I could have done without. Berowne-in-the-tree is a fantastic scene, a mechanism emulated well by writers of the present age's better farces. I had to clear that up, by the way, so that Party the Third realises they're not the third-string guests.

A third part of our Party
A third part of our Party
Speaking of Party the Third, I should stop speaking of them in circumlocution, but I don't know if they want to get introduced to the public on this page. I have one or two pictures but I know they strongly value their privacy. This, Party the Third, is the reason why one member of our party of four doesn't appear here even by implication except now; you two can file a complaint. That's my brother, right, and "Mom and a Bonsai" up there. If part of the background looks very strange, that's because the photos got touched up a little. They were too dark originally, for shame of me. I'll know better next time.

(I've gone batty, by the way, trying to get those pictures and captions to look one-quarter-decent on the page. Someone give me a hint. The "preview" function here apparently doesn't support some things it should.)

Things to do today. Devise an optimal internal structure for packed boxes and pack them according to this scheme. Construct an appropriate header for the page. Find something to eat. Compute the co-ordinate ring of the affine plane minus a point. (Find out how to write in blackboard-bold font.)

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may write about me to your hearts content. However if you say mean things I will read them :P.

What was the gag that should have been left out of Love's Labour..?

I like your list of things to do. Is just missing "Invade Czechoslovakia"

 
At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

weee!

Its Cindy! I invade your space!!

I Snort at this place as it is not Livejournal. But, you have to do what you have to do. :)


My nose hurts. that is my random statement for today.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger BKF said...

I was thinking of the Pastor's performance during the "Nine Worthies."

---

I can see some introductions are in order. Craig, of course, is my brother, and Anonymous Cindy is affiliated with him. "Dickolas Wang," aka Dick, is Richard, now graduate student at Berkeley, and Daniel, aka Billy (or the other way around?), will shortly be the same at Oregon -- both formerly of UBC Math.

( -- I said introductions, not explanations. Clearly that would take too long.)

 
At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

~giggles~

Affiliated? You can say I'm his Girl friend :) I'm not to concerned about ppl online knowing about my life. ~hugs~


~Cin

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Dickolas Wang said...

Pleasure to meet you all.

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Dickolas Wang said...

Except Billy, I already knew him.

 
At 2:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excuse my audacity, but I too had struggled mightly in finding how to write in blackboard bold font. It took me too long to admit, but in the end the secret turned out to be:

\usepackage{amssymb}

Hope that helps.

 
At 2:52 AM, Blogger BKF said...

Thanks, Daniel, but I meant for the website :-) I think it is maybe not possible in "just HTML" because it would require my viewers to have some non-trivial software to view it. Do all browsers know how to render MathML these days?

On the subject of LaTeX, I have followed Richard Anstee's advice and simply purloined someone's template. His, to be precise. (It seemed like the right kind of symmetry.)

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel very embarrassed. My audacity sucks.

(Good luck finding it in html!)

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger BKF said...

Shucks, Daniel, this is a place for the audacious :-)

MathML looks like a huge amount of trouble, even if it is natively supported in Netscape 7. (As in, not in IE without a plugin nor even well-done in Opera, alas.) On the other hand I did find a nice blackboard-bold TrueType font at the Wolfram website. Too bad no one can read it without downloading the same. I suppose if I was desperate on special occasions I could make a little .jpg from it.

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, jordan shoes, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin shoes, longchamp outlet, gucci handbags, michael kors outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, burberry handbags, christian louboutin outlet, nike air max, uggs outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, polo ralph lauren outlet online, nike air max, michael kors outlet, nike outlet, uggs on sale, longchamp outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, louis vuitton, ugg boots, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, cheap oakley sunglasses, uggs outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, burberry outlet, polo outlet

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

ray ban pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, coach outlet store online, ralph lauren uk, michael kors, coach purses, hollister pas cher, converse pas cher, nike air max, nike roshe run uk, kate spade, hogan outlet, nike free run, true religion outlet, ray ban uk, north face, replica handbags, burberry pas cher, coach outlet, new balance, true religion outlet, nike air max uk, hollister uk, polo lacoste, nike air max uk, nike free uk, oakley pas cher, air max, true religion outlet, michael kors pas cher, nike air force, michael kors outlet, nike roshe, jordan pas cher, michael kors, vans pas cher, lululemon canada, nike tn, timberland pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike blazer pas cher, abercrombie and fitch uk, louboutin pas cher, longchamp pas cher, north face uk, sac longchamp pas cher, sac hermes, guess pas cher, mulberry uk, true religion jeans

 
At 1:43 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

converse, canada goose, louis vuitton, converse outlet, vans, moncler outlet, moncler, pandora jewelry, toms shoes, replica watches, lancel, hollister, montre pas cher, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, karen millen uk, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler, links of london, pandora jewelry, canada goose jackets, louis vuitton, ugg pas cher, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, supra shoes, coach outlet, ugg, moncler outlet, hollister, pandora charms, canada goose, ugg uk, nike air max, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, ray ban, wedding dresses, barbour uk, canada goose outlet, pandora uk, canada goose outlet, canada goose, barbour, marc jacobs, doudoune moncler, moncler, gucci, thomas sabo, juicy couture outlet, canada goose uk, moncler uk, canada goose outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home