quivering through sun-drunken delight

Friday, January 12, 2007

Three Short Comments from Princeton

I. Many machines on Ix...*

Today as I went for dinner I saw a cardboard box, sitting by the trash at the bottom of the stairwell. A big Dell box, bigger than the one I found last time.

(Oh?... yes?)

So I took it. I have plans for it. Plans within plans. For storing things.

No laughing at my new box, now. It's a newcomer and doesn't have the history that the others do, but it will. It's strong. It's capable of eating the old box, as you can plainly see. I'm resisting saying that it can bend like a reed in the wind, because that attempt would likely destroy it.

Box in Box



* For many good reasons I translate any Latin that might come up, so why not Geek, which is still more obscure? Whatever you feel about the qualities of the adaptation, there are many wonderful things about David Lynch's Dune, and this snippet of dialogue is one of them.



II. More lock stories

I mentioned that I've not yet locked myself out. In truth when last fall I arrived on the contrary I felt locked in. The first time I put my key in the lock it became stuck; I had to brace myself against the door and hook two fingers in the ring of my key chain to wiggle/yank it out. This scene repeated itself. I began to fear that one day I would open my door and not be able to retrieve my keys. It would close and my housekey would just sit there. What would the lock do for me then?

But as often happens the problem went away by itself, or was helped by a little bit of use.

Now I have a different trouble. The lock is a deadbolt with one side tapered so that when the door falls into the frame the bolt draws back until it locks in place in the slot. I've noticed quite a bit over just the past 3 days -- already in the fall, irregularly, but often recently, right now, even -- the door not recessing the whole way. I've set my feet against the ground and pushed and the damn'd door doesn't fall far enough to let the bolt fall into place.

Just fiddling with the lock right now I've discovered that it has a second deadbolt, which can only be set into place from the inside, if you can make sense of that. (The key does draw it back, though.) It also has a little switch set into the side of the door which apparently toggles the autolock on the first deadbolt (the movement of the door-knob/handle draws that bolt back, and the switch releases or freezes the outside knob). Sometimes I wish I could live in an unlocked world, but my natural caution and my laptop make me think my wishes won't be like fishes.* Last year I left the door unlocked whenever I could, but those NGC buildings have a keycard entry system the OGC lacks.

I figure it -- the lock -- it's setting me up. When I stop compulsively jiggling the keys in my pocket every time I step through the threshold -- one day, somehow, I'll miss them and then it'll be click! like the assassin's blade. Sometimes, you know, I walk in and, carefree, drop my keys on the desk. They're camouflaged there. And then I think: that's just what it wants, and quickly replace them in my pocket. When those keys jingle on the desk, that to me should be like the sound of the nightingale floors of the Tokugawa fortress.

Apparently any life can be a little like an episode of The Outer Limits if you work hard enough at it. I'm thinking of the ones with a twisted set-up and diabolical reversal. Like the one about a (male) POW on an alien world who falls for the female human POW target of cruel alien interrogators and to whom he mentions, to cheer her a little, about the starships massing at the Lagrange point behind the sun that'll turn the war. Predictably (I always tried to figure out the most depressing ending possible consistent with the set-up, and wasn't too often surprised) she turns out to be an alien in human make-up, as it were. The next episode in this story line, by the way, has Wil Wheaton accidentally annihilating the Earth instead of the alien homeworld.


* "If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets" -- ancient Caladan proverb.



III. The end of credibility

I'm sure everyone's heard a story, probably many such stories, about someone who made trouble for themselves without quite realising it by posting something on-line. It might have been humourous or harmless, a little off-colour, a confession that shouldn't have been announced-in-principle to the entire English-speaking world, a phrase worded more strongly than it deserved, whatever. (Some of us are especially guilty of that one, multiple times per post, and a recent Globe and Mail column fairly took us to task. I've said it in passing, but just to be clear, the Lord Kelvin Useless Creation Award is firmly ironic in character.)

Some pundits even remark that future political careers are being ruined by such seeming-harmlessness. This on the face feels unduly pessimistic to me. After all, the underlying problem, as it so often is, is about data organisation, and not capacity. Still, perhaps there's something to it.

More worrisome to me at the moment is the casual and accidental intrusion of someone making a serious inquiry and getting their Google returns clogged with my useless prose. It doesn't happen so much, and there's a little thrill in the search engine's compliment. But something I read recently elsewhere (you know who you are) brought me back to the subject. Apparently someone got here looking for the Monster sporadic group, and I'd apologise to them, but I looked myself and I wasn't in the first fourteen pages, thank heavens. On the other hand, someone with a light-hearted interest in Ed Witten discovered me buried only three pages deep (mostly behind other, more well-known math-physics blogs) repeating a rumour that he sometimes plays at the local chess club. (At the time it was to me a rumour, anyway.) Frankly, half the embarassment in this "http referrer" business (when you click a link your browser tells the new site what page was linking to them) is that I feel like I'm snooping on someone else's affairs.

Speaking of which, the good news is that I am no longer "south of zealots and smut-mongers". There are some strange things about that particular query (the titular quotation of this journal). For example, the third result is to a result page of another crawler that turns me up on a different query. My Blogger user profile is right below the afore-mentioned zealots but above an entry from oldpoetry.com, which error I now ameliorate. The smut doesn't make it into the first page, but truncating to just "sun-drunken delight" shifts things around -- now my user profile is below. On truncating yet further the good news is that we have considerable standing. The very bad, bad news is that there's an actual thing -- a thing with a website -- and, well, I didn't have the heart to pursue it much, but I suspect certain kinds of smut are unbeatable. I wouldn't mention it except that this has been an important source of incoming traffic for me lately. Oy.

[Predictably, I note in a brief update a little while after writing this, the presence of the keywords in this entry hasn't helped. Oh, well. Fight the fights you can win, they say.]

On a brighter note, and returning to the data organisation theme, if at the beginning of this year you searched a thing called IceRocket Blog Search (which I've never heard of until now but which site possesses a curiously Google-like layout) on a certain Dune-related theme, you might find your way here. The reason you'd have to do it then is that this search engine organises apparently returns first by date. I note with a hint of schadenfreude that someone else has mentioned this book in a parenthesis and thereby opened their own definitely-not-for-the-dinner-table discussion to public scrutiny. (Let's just say that I shortly determined that it wasn't grammatical ignorance causing all those first-person pronouns to be capitalised.) Fortunately for them, they're getting buried, day by day, by more of the same.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The old story about young children, kittens and boxes..., and to think of all the effort that went into the gift certificate when a larger box would have been an appropriate Christmas gift!

I would suggest a bit of lubrication for the keyhole. Regarding the difficulty in closing, the winter weather often has a sizing effect on building openings.

Keep the keys and the administration telephone numbers with you at all times and you won't go wrong.

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you apparently augmented this posting after my initial comment.

Google is going to be the downfall of civilization (not the game)! I hear on the news that various terrorist groups are using Google Maps to target their intended victims. A second issue here is the one you described, insert anything into Google and you get many interesting and often disturbing hits. I tried my name and got numerous pig farm and manure hits (a biologist in Ontario) and, amazingly enough, your grandfather was frequently mentioned. The club he belongs to posts the minutes online and his name is mentioned frequently.

Dangerous stuff!

 
At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this post and thought of you:

Crush Finder experiment gets off the ground at Princeton
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2007/02/20/1726882.aspx

Mainly because...well..it's at Princeton...and you're at Princeton. :)

 
At 3:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

201510.31dongdong
Christian Louboutin Outlet Sale Cheap Online
uggs sale
ugg boots sale
Michael Kors Handbags Clearance Outlet
uggs clearance
michael kors handbags
ugg boots sale
michael kors outlet
Designer Louis Vuitton Bags Discount
coach outlet online
Michael Kors Outlet Online Deals Huge
michael kors outlet
ugg boots
michael kors outlet
coach outlet
celine bags
coach factory outlet
cheap ugg boots
coach factory outlet
canada goose
Michael Kors Designer Handbags Outlet Online
Abercrombie & Kent Luxury Travel
Louis Vuitton Outlet Free Shipping
Coach Outlet Discount Clearance Coach Handbags
nike air max 90
coach outlet
ugg outlet
coach outlet
Coach Outlet Handbags With Factory Price
Gucci Outlet Store Locations
michael kors bags
Montblanc Pen Refills Outlet
authentic louis vuitton handbags
Canada Goose Outlet,Canada Goose Outlet Online,Canada Goose Clearance
canada goose jackets

 
At 1:50 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

ray ban pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, coach outlet store online, ralph lauren uk, michael kors, coach purses, hollister pas cher, converse pas cher, nike air max, nike roshe run uk, kate spade, hogan outlet, nike free run, true religion outlet, ray ban uk, north face, replica handbags, burberry pas cher, coach outlet, new balance, true religion outlet, nike air max uk, hollister uk, polo lacoste, nike air max uk, nike free uk, oakley pas cher, air max, true religion outlet, michael kors pas cher, nike air force, michael kors outlet, nike roshe, jordan pas cher, michael kors, vans pas cher, lululemon canada, nike tn, timberland pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike blazer pas cher, abercrombie and fitch uk, louboutin pas cher, longchamp pas cher, north face uk, sac longchamp pas cher, sac hermes, guess pas cher, mulberry uk, true religion jeans

 
At 1:54 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

converse, canada goose, louis vuitton, converse outlet, vans, moncler outlet, moncler, pandora jewelry, toms shoes, replica watches, lancel, hollister, montre pas cher, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, karen millen uk, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler, links of london, pandora jewelry, canada goose jackets, louis vuitton, ugg pas cher, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, supra shoes, coach outlet, ugg, moncler outlet, hollister, pandora charms, canada goose, ugg uk, nike air max, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, ray ban, wedding dresses, barbour uk, canada goose outlet, pandora uk, canada goose outlet, canada goose, barbour, marc jacobs, doudoune moncler, moncler, gucci, thomas sabo, juicy couture outlet, canada goose uk, moncler uk, canada goose outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home