quivering through sun-drunken delight

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Journal of a Lower-Division Grader: Introduction (and if you warned me,...)

"I despise your despising," spoke Zarathustra. "And if you warned me, why did you not warn yourself?""

There's something very dubious about work-related blogging. It seems to get people into trouble (cf. brief remarks here under "the end of credibility," or elsewhere at more length and erudition), for one thing. But more than that, and in its pervasity worse still, it seems all-too-often both unprofessional and morosely self-indulgent. How often do we read only glib snark cooked up from the catalogue of the daily travail? Endow it with vices and malfeasance beyond its station, and speak of it with the dryly clownish condescension of sufferance yielding to exasperation! But sad occasions are only sadder still when they command the service of powerful prose.

How often have I jotted notes on nothing-in-particular only later, a day, two days later, to find that I no longer had any interest in the subject? It is not that I am fickle or capricious, though perhaps I am. It's that the fundamental cost of all art, all media is viewer attention. The literature of forgettable pettiness only worths its price when it seasons itself with bile and hyperbole. It's the thing-of-the-moment that mistakenly universalises itself in a search for absent significance when it in truth has no such power. It's Guildenstern stabbing the Player King.

And it's really bad writing. Maybe not bad prose, maybe often not, but badly misspent. I think we ought to command better from ourselves. Call that a re-statement of our mission at Sun-Drunken.

If you remember the last time, or the time before that, or --, that I went on a tear immediately prior to doing, or while doing, exactly what I'd just railed against, I'm sure you know what comes next. It's not just self-conscious irony, the plainest special pleading, a seeking to convince the reader that really nothing wicked passes here by sending him through loops and whirls until he's too dizzy to figure out whether it's satirical or just crass. It was never the despising that was at fault. Returns are still being earned when Guildenstern furnishes his "art to creating suspense" with a "law of diminishing returns."

Here, however, Zarathustra interrupted the foaming fool and put his hand over the fool's mouth. "Stop at last!" cried Zarathustra; "your speech and your manner have long nauseated me. Why did you live near the swamps so long, until you yourself have become a frog and a toad?... Why have you not gone into the woods? Or to plow the soil? I despise your despising; and if you warned me, why did you not warn yourself?

"Out of love alone shall my despising and my warning bird fly up, not out of the swamp.

"... What was it that first made you grunt? That nobody flattered you sufficiently; you sat down to this filth so as to have reason to grunt much -- to have reason for much revenge....

"But your fool's words injure me, even where you are right. And even if Zarathustra's words were a thousand times right, still you would always do wrong with my words."

Anyway, when the preface puts the body of text into the smallest corner of its shadow -- it could be bad writing, or it could be the preface was the point.

* * * * *


Way-back-when at UBC I took a class in Euclidean geometry. After the midterm a friend told me a sad story about the grading of one of the problems. It had asked for a statement of some theorem or definition or thing like this. As always in Euclidean geometry a good diagram was central to the issue, and she had included a helpful exegetical diagram. Alas, the instructor had not found it so helpful.

"I didn't label it a circle," she explained to me at some length. "That's why he took points off. You tell me, what else could it be?"

Obviously I couldn't say. I'd labelled mine.

"He said, 'Maybe you thought it was an ellipse'! What? What?! When in this class have we talked about ellipses?"

Well, it wasn't the most circle-like circle. They're not the easiest thing to draw.

"When has Instructor-Man even mentioned the word 'ellipse'?!"

Never, of course; if you have neither co-ordinate geometry nor solid Euclidean geometry at your disposal, and this was a strictly plane-geometric class, it's a bother even to say what an ellipse is.

So she went to work on him again, but it didn't help. He was the kind of person who helps earn a reputation for eccentricity for mathematicians. (It's a math pun; click the link to convince yourself it might possibly be funny.)

In truth, although I wished I could back up the professor's take, I really couldn't figure it out. I dislike unlabelled diagrams as much as the next guy, but this ellipse business couldn't be a serious criticism.

I have since recanted my naivete. A term or two grading papers has given me a somewhat more storied perspective. My understandings about what other people might mean when they speak what they say or write what they scribble are no longer Earthbound -- heavy, constrained by the gravity of consequence. Rather they roam between the sky and the space which is beyond, fantastic, undreambound. It's the fog of the Nothing, of the confusion-of-being, of the not-understanding and the not-communicating. It's sadness on a page.

And that's why I couldn't give examples. It would take a callous knowledge-worker not to empathise. Or at least it would if the clever critters didn't try their damn'dest to dress it up. And yet, heavens guard us, maybe now and then I've only rouged it -- I am on a deadline.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you.

Now that I know the meaning of eccentricity I will have to find another word to describe certain people and actions. Or has the common usage followed from the mathematical (off centered)?

Words are permanent, both written and spoken. The past is known and only the hope of the future allows wonder.

Another example of the marker's dilemma, when taking a particular accounting course I reviewed the past ten years of examinations. Over a period of ten years, three times a years for, in the order of, one thousand students, the heading comment was "The students didn't read the question". As the failure rate in this course was 60%, apparently 18,000 of those students couldn't read. It would seem a more reasonable process would be to change the question so that everyone could read it and test the knowledge and understanding behind the concept.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger BKF said...

dictionary.com sez "eccentricity" comes from Greek ekkentros (from ek kentron), "out of centre," as you say. But even if it didn't tell me that I'd say that with probability 1 we who study conic sections borrowed it. We're not much for clever neologisms, and only rarely for clever archeologisms. (The same site tells me that's a coinage, so I'm feeling super good about (a) a very good joke and (b) a nice archeologism.)

Now being in the second term of grading the same class I'm experiencing recurring themes. Some of it is goofy (cavalier division-by-zero, a classic) and some I'd better not talk about unless I have a few hours to spare to describe in horrible detail how it's five kinds of lemonade. It makes me think: surely if we've done this half-a-dozen times, we can teach it better than the first time? How many layers of common misconceptions can there be in introductory linear algebra? In a couple years these kids will look back on this course and think that really it all makes sense. I can only conclude that some mistakes are costlier to avert than to make. (Even when you factor in the strain on my nerves.) I'll save the polemic about asking proof-type questions of economists and engineers for another day....

I can't defend badly-conceived questions and I'm sure there are a vast number of them out there, especially in the pedagogical swamp of the multiple-choice problem (although considering the economic and legal complexities of accounting I have no idea why I don't assume it's all long, long essays). But even though I can't myself read I can't feel too much empathy for the students who didn't/couldn't read. What can they imagine work in their field will be like? Demanding of diligence, I'm sure. But probably not under time pressure.

 
At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The exam can be viewed as a training ground for "real life", it is not that you know the answer it is that you understand the issue so completely that the question becomes irrelevant.

Knowing the Greeks, I suspect that Eucilid and the boys invented the word to describe their work and the common man subverted the true meaning. Who did the work on conical sections?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home