quivering through sun-drunken delight

Friday, May 04, 2007

Nachtblogging: "deeper than day had been aware"

I've been collecting night-time photos for a little while, since last summer, casually, whenever the fancy struck; and for a few weeks I've had it in mind to start posting some. At first it was going to be just one post, but I think I have too many of them for that. And besides, I tipped my hand with the last entry. So here's a first stab at it.

Each picture below is a thumbnail; click through for more.

* * * * *


The other day I was returning from my after-dinner walk to pick up this week's problem sets when I happened to look down.

Some flowers in grass at night


Just some flowers? This is a long-exposure shot (one second); I'm sitting on the stone path behind our viewpoint and using my bag to try to stabilise the camera. If you click through, you can see I wasn't wholly successful. On first appearance you can't really see too well what first caught my eye, which was the grouping of the purple bulbs around the one orange-red bulb. The blues are a little too strong to let the purple flowers stand out -- actually, the ones on the left are well-hidden. In the click-through the bulbs are a bit easier to pick out. But whatever my original intent was, this scene has taken on its own character.

This shot summarises the palette that attracts me to night-time settings: forest greens, deep blues, and burning reds. The set is suffused with an almost unholy dim glow, and the long exposure yields powerful juxtapositions of light and dark. The backlight brings up the gothic architecture beautifully, the foreground flower is curiously emphasised, and the whole thing takes on a dramatic energy. In short, it's interesting: no, this isn't a picture of flowers; it's a picture about flowers.

Compare a roughly equivalent day-time shot:

Some flowers in grass at day


This is the same plot, (a few days later, when I decided I wanted a comparison shot to show you: if you look carefully you can see the flowers are noticeably further along in bloom). The click-through is not as big and I haven't tried to crop it for composition. Nonetheless I think it's clear that even if the photo doesn't outright fail it is at best "just some flowers." The only thing close to interest is the upper-right corner, where the grass and the jagged shadow meet the wall. We can try to rescue it, like so:

Some grass and flowers by a wall at day


You can decide for yourself if you think this merits being called a "rescue." It has a few merits, yet at best "it is what it is," and that is nothing close to the evening scene.

Let me share something curious from the same set. It's a bit nerve-wrecking taking these photos at night because of course I don't know until I get home whether the photo is bright enough, or too blurred, or whatever other failures might have happened -- the camera's LCD is hardly good enough to tell me this, especially when the ambient no-light makes it difficult to judge the brightness of the image! When that happens I can (short of trying to retake the photo -- not always possible) only hope for a software solution.

The software I'm using has a button suspiciously labelled "Photo fix." This runs a half-dozen or so algorithms to try to correct some problems -- colour balance, contrast, saturation, others. (You can also run these algorithms individually at a strength you specify, in case you actually know what you're doing.) The result of running this thing, as you might guess, is usually more entertaining than usable: although it often does a good job of identifying perceptual objects in the frame that are fairly-well washed out to mortal eyes, the end product of this process is typically pretty far-removed from reality. I would be very reluctant to use such a thing unless I needed an illustrative photo and all of mine were useless.

However, sometimes it can surprise you.

Some flowers by a wall at faux-day


This came from a failed (too dark) shot of these flowers by running this "photo fix" algorithm. As a photograph, this obviously fails. The colours are wrong, too washed out; close-up, everything looks grainy, like it had been taken with a high-ISO film; and it's also blurred -- probably a consequence of the smoothing algorithm rather than my unsteadiness. Yet despite all this the effect is not altogether awful if I forget that it came from my camera and instead imagine it came from some novice impressionist painter's workshop. Looking at the click-through, the colours at the interface of the wall and the garden are still not good, but move away to center on the red flower, with just the green surrounding it:

A painted flower?



Very striking! Call it found art.

* * * * *


This night-time photo series gets its own tag, "Deeper than day had been aware." There's an explanation behind this which is too long to give in entirety on the "About labels" page, so I'll take a page from what I did before there were labels and introduce it here, on the second entry under this tag (I retconned the previous entry into this grouping).

The quotation is from a poem in Nietzsche's Zarathustra:
I was asleep --
From a deep dream I woke and swear:
The world is deep,
Deeper than day had been aware.
As always, the translation is Walter Kaufmann's. (The other day I was in the bookstore [ahem] and a new translation caught my eye -- I might pick it up one day -- aren't you proud of me, that I didn't the first time I saw it? -- but wait, maybe it won't be there when I go back!) In the original, it is:
Ich schlief, ich schlief --
Aus tiefem Traum bin ich erwacht:
Die Welt is tief,
Und tiefer als der Tag gedacht.
Kaufmann's translation is obviously fairly literal, but I like the fact that "Und tiefer als der Tag gedacht" sounds every bit as good as "Deeper than day had been aware."

This is a quatrain in a song that occurs several times in Zarathustra. It is, I would say, a rather important poem to the book. Unfortunately, I can't quite tell you its name. It first appears in Book III under the title "The other dancing song" ("Das endere Tanzlied") and in Book IV under the title "The drunken song" ("Das Nachtwandler-lied" -- more on that later). On the other hand, in that latter setting Zarathustra introduces it like so, in Section 12, after quoting pieces of it in the previous eleven parts:
Have you learned my song? Have you guessed its intent? Well then, you higher men, sing me now my round. Now you yourselves sing me the song whose name is "Once More" and whose meaning is "into all eternity" -- sing, you higher men, Zarathustra's round!
In the original, that last sentence is:
Singt mir nun selber das Lied, dess Name ist "Noch ein mal," dess Sinn ist "in alle Ewigkeit," singt, ihr hoeheren menschen, Zarathustra's Rundgesang!"
These German originals, by the way, are courtesy of Project Gutenberg's e-book. The declared name and meaning are given literally in Kaufmann's translation; a "Rundgesang" is a kind of chorus song (in the sense of a circle of people singing -- "runde" is cognate with our "round").

So what about that "Drunken song"? It will surely not surprise you to hear that this isn't exactly what "Das Nachtwandler-lied" means. A wandlung is a change or transformation (cognate with German "wandern," same as our "to wander"; so a change in the sense of a wandering away from the original), but according to my dictionary (thank you!) it also has a meaning in the German Ecclesiastical tradition -- it refers to the transubstantiation of Christ! Since Zarathustra is filled from cover to cover with Biblical allusions, it is not a difficult guess to make that this is the meaning intended. So I might guess at a rather more literal translation: "The night-consecrating song." All this just demands the question: what did Kaufmann have in mind?

Of course, "Night-consecrating song" is pretty good for our purposes here, too, even if it does miss some meaning there.

By the by, Mahler set this song-of-indeterminate-name to music in his Third Symphony, (Fourth Movement). The symphony is good but the movement in question is just eight minutes so I can't recommend it on that basis alone. Mahler's certainly isn't a drinking song, but a fairly ethereal piece with a light instrumental accompaniment (horn and clarinet solos with strings) to a soprano.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have tied this into your blog header (...sun-drunken....).

My camera has a function whereby you create a setting and it takes three pictures by varying a parameter up one notch and down one notch. I don't know how many functions this will work for but it would increase your chances of getting the picture that you tried for.

A second option is to take the picture in RAW format and spend hours adjusting the various parameters with your computer. This is something that I currently have no time for, maybe after retirement.

Go ahead and buy the book, if you needed permission. A book in the hand is worth far more than a book on back-order.

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

201510.31dongdong
Authentic Air Jordan 13 shoes for sale
Ugg Boots Outlet Clearance,Cheap Uggs On Sale Discount For Women
michael kors outlet online
Hollister Tees for Men
Toms Outlet Store Online
jordan shoes
Coach Diaper Bag Outlet
ray-ban sunglasses
Authentic Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet Sale
michale kors outlet
Jordan Concords Low And High
mihchael kors bag
New Michael Kors Handbags Outlet Online
abercrombie store
coach outlet online
Nike Kobe Bryant Basketball Shoes
Louis Vuitton Outlet Mall Store
Air Jordan 6 Champagne Bottle
Oakley Polarized Sunglasses Cheap Outlet Store
michael kors outlet
ray-ban sunglasses,ray ban sunglasses,ray bans,rayban,ray ban wayfarer,raybans,ray ban glasses,ray ban aviators,ray ban clubmaster,ray ban eyeglasses,cheap ray bans,ray bans sunglasses,ray ban aviator,ray bands,fake ray bans,ray ban prescription glasses,ray ban outlet,ray ban canada,ray ban sunglasses sale,ray ban sale
cheap ugg boots
Michael Kors Handbags Clearance Outlet
Official Coach Online Factory Sale
Louis Vuitton Neverfull Tote Bag
nike football,airmax,nike free 3.0,nike air huarache,nike womens shoes,nike free run womens
Louis Vuitton Purses For Cheap
michael kors uk
michael kors outlet
Coach Outlet Online Discount Sale
hollister uk sale
louis vuitton handbags
Cheap Ray Ban Wayfarer

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

canada goose
lebron shoes
ralph lauren outlet
hollister clothing
michael kors outlet
ugg outlet
cheap jerseys
hermes
parajumpers Outlet
coach outlet
2018.1.10chenlixiang

 

Post a Comment

<< Home