quivering through sun-drunken delight

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Tiger-in-the-world

It turns out that Wikipedia really does know everything: take a look at the caption/description on this photo. Well, almost everything: take a look at the publish date. Not quite timely enough, Wikipedians.

(Refresh your memory of Sun-Drunken's longest-running joke, dating back to the beginning of October 2005. Not quite timely enough.)

* * *

This is a one-line joke, as it's meant to be, but the truth is I was a little impressed when I by accident stumbled on this.

(Seriously serendipitous accident: I was trying to fill out my state income tax return, which asks in part what municipality I'm in, and I couldn't find out whether I'm in Princeton Borough or Princeton Township. It's not as easy as you'd think: compare, if you feel strong enough to enter the bureaucracy, the bottom-left quadrant of this Borough map with my location on this Princeton University map -- select "Graduate College" from the dropdown. I think I cross municipality lines when I go to my bookshelf from my desk. Apparently the municipalities split more than a century ago, over a school board dispute, and two subsequent referenda to recombine them have failed. Alas, I don't get a vote.)

My native caution once led me to be suspicious of Wikipedia, but judging by how often I've linked to its entries from these pages you can tell my thinking has evolved. At first it was just the convenience and the breadth. Many of the math articles even seemed good. Over time the general quality seems to have jumped, and there appears to be a large collection of people working on scores of "Wikiprojects" to put the face of professionalism all over the site.

In the end it was the romance of the encyclopedia that converted me: the quest to summarise all human knowledge. A link to the Foundation article might be appropriate, but still more apt would be one to the Encyclopedia Britannica Eleventh Edition article. (Irony?). And if I went to fiction, I'd be more apt to link to this bio of Cordwainer Smith, whose book reminds me that while happiness is man's ultimate good, as Aristotle tells us, there is still a little more we'd wish for when we write the history of mankind.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't taxes wonderful!

If you take your tax issue and multiply by the millions of individuals and businesses throughour the USA you can get a feel for the bureaucratic overhead that resides there. Can you immagine the county sales tax based on which side of the street you live on? your trip to the bookself is not too far wrong and make sure that you sign the form on the correct side of the boundary!

Reminds me that I will have to re-read the Foundation series, the question will arise as to do so in what order?

As forward thinking individuals, we should take the tiger issue as just the rest of the world catching up, and allow them the pleasure of basking in the queries already reviewed and dealt with.

 
At 1:57 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

ray ban pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, coach outlet store online, ralph lauren uk, michael kors, coach purses, hollister pas cher, converse pas cher, nike air max, nike roshe run uk, kate spade, hogan outlet, nike free run, true religion outlet, ray ban uk, north face, replica handbags, burberry pas cher, coach outlet, new balance, true religion outlet, nike air max uk, hollister uk, polo lacoste, nike air max uk, nike free uk, oakley pas cher, air max, true religion outlet, michael kors pas cher, nike air force, michael kors outlet, nike roshe, jordan pas cher, michael kors, vans pas cher, lululemon canada, nike tn, timberland pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike blazer pas cher, abercrombie and fitch uk, louboutin pas cher, longchamp pas cher, north face uk, sac longchamp pas cher, sac hermes, guess pas cher, mulberry uk, true religion jeans

 
At 1:59 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

converse, canada goose, louis vuitton, converse outlet, vans, moncler outlet, moncler, pandora jewelry, toms shoes, replica watches, lancel, hollister, montre pas cher, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, karen millen uk, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler, links of london, pandora jewelry, canada goose jackets, louis vuitton, ugg pas cher, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, supra shoes, coach outlet, ugg, moncler outlet, hollister, pandora charms, canada goose, ugg uk, nike air max, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, ray ban, wedding dresses, barbour uk, canada goose outlet, pandora uk, canada goose outlet, canada goose, barbour, marc jacobs, doudoune moncler, moncler, gucci, thomas sabo, juicy couture outlet, canada goose uk, moncler uk, canada goose outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home