quivering through sun-drunken delight

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Inaugural Lord Kelvin Useless Creation Award

We should be able to do sums, Donald Knuth writes in his parvum opus Concrete Mathematics, even on our less creative days. (That book has two co-authors, too, Graham and Patashnik. Somehow I keep calling it Knuth's book.) What he's extolling his students to is a level of technique that obviates the need for divination in finding a path to the problem's solution. This is a fundamental step to mastering anything, because creative expression always hinges on an excellent grasp of the technique of the medium.

To this end, I shall indulge in a Regular Feature, Sun-Drunken's first, (although I threatened one earlier, if you're keeping score, which I've not yet had occasion to revisit). Shame, by the way, to you if you thought I was going to say I was going to learn how to write properly. The famous physicist Lord Kelvin (yes, that Kelvin) wrote:
Quaternions came from Hamilton... and have been an unmixed evil to those who have touched them in any way. Vector is a useless survival... and has never been of the slightest use to any creature.
In honour of his getting one out of two, and being hilariously mistaken on count of the one he missed, I'd like to establish the Lord Kelvin Useless Creation Award, given to "those entities that in the estimation of the award committee have never been of the slightest use to any creature."

Today's recipient gets my mountain goat, and they'd take my other goats, too, if they knew how. No doubt this problem will continue to hold their attention for years yet to come. But don't think they're getting this prestigious inaugural award just for future anxiety, they've already caused much. In recognition of their undying capacity to create labyrinthine obfuscation, I'd like to award the first KUCA to the united bureaucrats of New Jersey. The award citation makes note of, inter alia, their request that international students fill out tax documents with deadlines set before said students can acquire an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number), their refusal to acknowledge the utility of MMR immunization that occurs before the age of one year (contrary to, for example, medical practice in British Columbia), and their inability to promptly send letters threatening fines and other action against people who fail to comply with their artificial deadlines. That, of course, is just the stuff that happened today.

Congratulations, guys.

Clouds over Barca On a lighter, fluffier, even, note, I note that no one's even noted the fluffiness of the light atop the page. (Before you ask, I'm not eligible for a KUCA.) The background is from the galleries of the Cloud Appreciation Society, the existence of which I think you'll agree is just reasonable enough that I don't have to remind you that I'm not making this stuff up. It's a striking shot of the rooftops of the world. Their manifesto, (nevermind the cloud-inspired poetry), is even more striking.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 1:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea there was such a society. I shall have to peruse their galleries while I am supposed to be working tomorrow. Perhaps some of my pictures would see fit to join their ranks. :)

 
At 1:42 AM, Blogger BKF said...

Yes, lads, if you happen to look at the visitor stats for this site and notice the DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE on the list of purusers, don't fear, your humble scribe is not about to be weighed on the blind lady's scales. That's just Craig taking a break from defending justice in Canada.

 
At 2:00 AM, Blogger BKF said...

Of course, in retrospect, it was a little premature to promise a "high-minded parable" the _very_ next time. Stain of blogging sins, alas, what ablution shall remove thee? Oh, send me to the Ganges river, let me become again as the ascetic I was. The world is too much for me.

 
At 2:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Balin,

It's Candace! Zach stumbled upon your blog and showed it to me. You got some cool things to say.

I hope you have a good time in New Jersey!

ttyl,
Candace

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger BKF said...

Hi, Candace. Glad you've enjoyed your stay so far. Never mind the moaning and groaning. Artists, you know. They take a while but they'll get back on-message. New Jersey is now just ten days away; maybe I should start a clock counting down -- except I'd have to figure out if Saturday counts or not.

Give my regards to Zach. (Or the other way around.) (Not "my Zach to regards," other way, of course.)

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger G said...

Hey Balin!

I wonder what New Jersey is like. Calgary's not so bad - a lot of it is like Vancouver. Just the scenery is different - grassland everywhere and no trees :S

Galen

 
At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few points

Ai) as a photographer, I can appreciate cloud shots (I have taken many myself, and they are fabulous)

Aii) that doesn't mean you get to make a society.

Aiii) poetry of clouds is fine.

Bi) Love's Labours Lost is not a Bad Play, just a Not Very Good Play. It has lots of great one-liners. But the plot, I find, stinks.

Bii) There is only, really, one character in the play, and he doesn't do much (the Spanish guy). The rest are cookie-cut outs with snappy lines. Blah.

Biiia) having seen the Ken Bran version of it (shudders) my vision of the play is forever coloured, and I will for once agree with the academia in labelling it a Lesser Play.

Biiib) The Ken Branded one is set to music. They /sing/. 'nuff said

Ci) I am the ubiquitous Party the First, in case you haven't guesses already. R&G was fun, so will be Hamlet.

Cii) I hereby give Balin future permission to use my name / photo (approved photos only, please) on his blogging site.

Ciii) though I must admit it was fun being a Party. Tee hee ^__^

That's all from me.

Michael More

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger BKF said...

Hi, Galen. So nice to hear from you, on your own safari to a place where they don't quite speak the same language, I think. I'm told that New Jersey is very pastoral. However, it might take some time for me to collect any evidence of this, living as I will in the heart of faux-Old-World architecture. No, wait, that's not right. Princeton is an institution with great history and those architectural decisions were made to establish consistency with the 1700's-era buildings (which weren't "faux" at all). See, I get into the spirit. Anyone want to hear the "Princeton Skyrocket Cheer"? It has a _fascinating_ history, going back to the Civil War....

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger BKF said...

Maybe one person had guessed, Michael, I don't know. I'm tight-lipped about my plans.

Not sure what you mean that the Spaniard, Don Armado, is the only real character in the play. Certainly Berowne is one. Anyway, I don't really agree with what you say about the play. "Lesser" is fair enough, but comparisons with the dramatic plays are not, and for myself I liked it rather more than _Merry Wives_.

Poetry in which clouds appear is of course not _a fortiori_ bad. What of it? There is no need to be cruel or detailed on this subject. That page of poetry is very sad. It's a string of obvious and uninteresting projections that dignified people should not let see the light of day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home