quivering through sun-drunken delight

Monday, October 03, 2005

Tigers: "more in heaven and earth than is dreamt of"

They provoked interest and speculation unprecedented at Sun-Drunken. What do they mean? Who made them? What are they? Tigers? or prototigers? Lionesses? or not even mammals? Hybrid gone deformed? Groundhogs? or beavers? Giant prehistoric beavers? Obscure Japanese cinema amok on otherwise dignified campus?

Because a man knows to give the people what they want, here it is, no more nauseatingly wimpy polemics against bad lock design (I swear those clowns are half-way to a KUCA, specifically, the "useless" half, missing only the necessary irony) and bureaucrats: up close and uncut, you see what I see. These below are real thumbnails; click through for the massive (650-850kb, 1700x2270) originals.

Beaver Profile



Beaver Side



Beaver Back


Note the distinctly non-flat tail, sleek skull with slanted eyes and swept-back ears, and characteristic growl with saber-like fangs. Contrariwise, the pose of course is very distracting, and I didn't realise they could have haunches like that, nevermind the protruding bellies.

Siberian tiger


Here's a real tiger for reference, courtesy of Google (and, uhh, Associated Press, apparently).

But, you know, as much as I make light of them, in truth I'm envious. I wish I could have obscure and bizarre statuary. Couldn't really move them around with me, though.


On a related subject: Ever since I found Gargoyles of Princeton: A Grotesque Tour of the Campus (I keep telling you about these people) I've had that "gotta-catch-em-all" one gets when just the right triviality comes along over which to obsess. Granted this was just last night; but the fact that I went out the very next day to snap some shots suggests I am just as Orpheus in the underworld. So now I've got fifty pictures of miscellaneous gargoyles. I think I'll make a checklist. Here's a sneak peak, one of the weirder gargoyles. This "see-it-or-disbelieve-it" gargoyle is on the local gymnasium. (Also a thumbnail.)

Footballer gargoyle

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So is the gargoyle dropping a bomb on the unsuspecting students about to enter the library?

Definately tigers, no question about it (at least not beavers).

Excellent pictures and well worth the viewing at any size. I am able to view in three sizes so can look at any level of detail captured by your camera.

Will we be getting one gargoyle per post?

 
At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, those are tigers. aww kitties!

:)

I like the gargolye. He's funky. ~nods~ And yoru camera takes nice pics. Very crisp. :)

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger BKF said...

Whoops, I forgot to say what it is (just where it is). It's actually a footballer.

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still think that they are marmots. :)

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger BKF said...

So today, just to keep you up-to-date, after winning yesterday and the day before (I didn't bother reporting), finally Topalov draws a game. So he's on 7/8 with six games remaining, with Svidler two points behind. Meanwhile Morozevich has ended his horrific slump with consecutive victories, against Anand and Kasimdzhanov yesterday and today, respectively, to pull himself back to an even score (4 points).

Tomorrow is a rest day for them, and for me as well.

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tomorrow being Friday or Saturday? Do you get three day weekends every week? Such a life!!!

On the other hand you miss our long weekend, Thanksgiving and will have to wait until November to celebrate in the USA.

Craig, on the other hand will be away for the weekend so will miss the annual turkey, if I can convince Ming that it is a tradition and should be cooked anyway.

Marmots are a good choice, I didn't think of them and likely a better choice of a mascot in a peace loving sort of way.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Dickolas Wang said...

They could be ligers. Wouldn't surprise me, because they're probably the coolest animals ever.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0601
canada goose jackets
ugg outlet
cheap mlb jerseys
air max 90
brequet wathes
kobe 9
fossil watches
guess factory
michael kors outlet
nike presto

 

Post a Comment

<< Home