quivering through sun-drunken delight

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Redemption: "I want to climb a high mountain today"

It's a happy, reflective melancholy.

I've had a lot of time to think thoughts this summer. Some thoughts I meant to think were thought; others not meant to think, too; some got lost, some couldn't keep up, some became nauseous, some just called for the sherpas and kept climbing. Some we didn't get to -- surprise; summertime is bountiful and sparkling but finite. I don't lack imagination, I wonder if one will ever run out of thoughts to think, or if they keep getting generated, saplings planted in the cracks of fertile minds, faster than one can think them.

Sometimes I just want to take a rest. "Why are my hobbies so demanding?" I ask myself, but I don't bother answering. I could look over and read the titles on the stack of books by my bed, but they've been packed. Asceticism is demanding, asceticism is commanding, but I wouldn't change it. And if a giddy madness falls sharply, at least it passes just as quickly: it is too superfluous to survive an ascetic. I'm not talking about monks' half-starvation diets, I still eat cookies.

I suppose I've been thinking a little about Vancouver recently, the places, the peoples. Last time I left Vancouver, in March, it was only for a few days -- a few hectic and harrowing days -- but, how happy I was to see from the plane the glittering lights in familiar shapes on the ground. Sitting in my fortress, which others might mistake for my bedroom, sometimes it might seem a little distant, but it's about to get more distant, and more thoughts will get more demanding. "Vital energy," my maternal grandfather once told me, "is the sine qua non of a successful career." -- well then! If I understood what he meant, how can things go badly? (Variation on the Socratic paradox: ultimate Platonic prejudice.) And if the name Princeton has cachet born of past success, then it creates its own future success when the next generation wants to earn and be worthy of that cachet, too: so how can one fail with so many good people around? Perhaps I am like Goethe, too conciliatory for real tragedy -- during the day, at least, when the sun shines; but when I'm on the East Coast, the sun keeps shining for three hours more after it sets.

So! "Was Das - das Lieben?" will ich zum Tode sprechen. "Wohlan! Noch Ein Mal!" ("Was that life?" I want to say to death. "Well then! Once more!") Take stock and then -- En avante! Up the Republic! That's my war cry.

So I sit here telling myself my past. And I bake cookies. Let me tell you how: some secrets shouldn't vanish altogether with the comings and goings of aircraft. I thought I might conjure a fanciful name for these, something like "Aztec Ambrosia," or maybe "It Didn't Make Me Stronger," but that's maybe a bit much, fusing mythologies willy-nilly, so let's stick with:
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • 1 1/4 c. margarine
  • 2 c. sugar, or a little less
  • 2 eggs ("large")
  • 3 tsp. vanilla (15 ml)
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda (5 ml)
  • 3/4 c. cocoa
  • semi-sweet chocolate chips (200-250 grams)
Add ingredients in this order in a bowl. Mix at each stage. I do it manually with a fork (which demands some rigour with the wrist), in which case it is helpful to add the dry ingredients piecemeal and mix in between, but you can find your prefered method. Drop by teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheets. (One teaspoon in each hand is very convenient.) Bake at 350 degrees (Fahrenheit, of course) for about 12 minutes. Good the first day, excellent the second and beyond. Makes 32 cookies. Store in glazed ceramic Austrian snowman.
I'm kidding about the 32 cookies thing. I just can't remember the last time it didn't come out to 32 cookies. (About the snowman thing, too.) Probably I'm unconsciously acting to keep it that way, by now. Put on a CD you wanted to listen to while baking; from start to last-tray-out is about an hour. My father's first piece of cooking advice to his children was: Pay attention! But this is pretty fool-proof, unless you put the cookies in the oven and then go to write something for a while and lose track of time.

I think I have to go now.



Postscript, that night.

Austrian Snowmen and Cookies Here you can see the Austrian snowmen: the jolly, fat one on the right holds cookies and the equally jolly, slightly less fat one on the left just dangles his legs and enjoys his hot cocoa. Before you make fun of them, as so many cads have been wont to do, you should know that my mother brought these back from a Christmas village in Austria.

You might justly wonder how it is that suddenly I have so little to do that I'm posting pictures of my cookie jar on the Internet. If someone said this to me, I might quibble that it is only one picture. What can I say? The walls are getting bare here. The last books are packed; I kept only three to take with me for the crossing: an anthology of science fiction, Kaufmann's Portable Nietzsche, and Šafarevic's Basic Algebraic Geometry. The problem is that I can't do math late at night. I'll never be able to get to sleep with ghosts of quasiprojective varieties floating and flickering in twisted knots through my brain. (No, knot theory doesn't come in here, that was just descriptive prose.) Fortunately, I seem to have the next week just about booked up.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Balin, I refer you to my old friend Timothy Findley, whose chief worry in life was that there were so many wonderful characters and stories running around his head that he felt he needed several lifetimes to get to them all. You will never run out of thoughts, or ideas. And we're glad ^__^

I like your cookie recipe (and the snowman is very cute. so there). A suggestion: try a bit of brown sugar (1/2 brown, 1/2 white, or something - no more that 50% brown). Or, for a hint of exotic-ness, a pinch of cinnamon. Coriander is nice too.

Good luck with your remaining packing ;)

Michael

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Balin..Who am I going to say hi too when I come over now? Who am I going to annoy with my endless silly questions when you obviously want to just sit at your puter? Who am I going to annoy with my obnoxious sex noises?

~sniff~

Awww I'm going to miss you. :(

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger BKF said...

Don't worry, Cindy. I'm sure Craig is just as annoyed with your endless silly questions when he obviously wants just to play World of Warcraft as I am when I do whatever I do. Also, it seems that you've managed to embarrass me _in absentia_, very far from the next room, and publicly, too, somehow, on a blog that my mother supposedly will be reading, so there's no need to feel that that's gone away, either. After all, the Internet is all about communications, keeping people closer.

I'm not gone yet, though I'm starting to feel that way. After yesterday's "like-a-farewell" dinner I've become aware that the list of people I'm not going to see for a while is getting close to complete.

Yesterday I felt pretty good after finding a nice trick to show that a function regular on affine n-space minus a (finite collection of irreducible Zariski-closed) codimension 2 piece(s) is actually regular on the whole space. Curious, I thought, rephrasing, that if regularity fails anywhere it does so on at least a codimension 1 space. Shortly thereafter I realised this last was pretty obvious. (Example of the compactification of knowledge.)

(Also: I just thought this blog needed a little more of the concrete abstract and a little less of the abstract concrete.)

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe. Yea I'm sure he is. Especially when I call and try to talk to him and get the "uh huh.. yea... ~pause while I hear hack and slash from the puter~ yea..."

~giggles~ oops. Right. Parents read this..umm....yea... oh well...I forget that not every parent is like my mom who knows everything about my life.

Sorry Balin. :) I tease and forget how easy you are to embarrass. :) I shall try to restrain myself in the future. :)

I suppose I should get my butt over to your hosue to say bye.

I have no idea what you are talking about in that paragraph... O.o

 
At 2:05 AM, Blogger BKF said...

"Restrain myself" -- I dunno, I bet these lads like a spot of the ol' schadenfreude from their Balin -- I've only been apotheosised once today. Anyway, Mother reacted with an embarrassed laugh, rather than that knell of doom, the Mortified Look, so it seems bawdy jokes are "acceptable, not encouraged" for the time being.

I, on the other hand, have to clean up my act. Try Neu Sonnen-Trunkenes, now with 70% fewer disjointed existential musings.

 
At 4:21 AM, Blogger Thomas Nguyen said...

Balin,

I love your blog! And considering I just recently started reading blogs this is an excellent addition. Also, nice recipe, I'll try it out sometime.

I hope you have a great time at Princeton!

 
At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha. i had to go look up schadenfreude. :P yay I learned something today.

Well. What can I say... I come from a family of rowdy, bawdy ppl. We're perverts. Enough said.

Though I do find it funny that now both your parents have seen me in my Pj's. Course it was worse with your dad since that was the first time I met him. oh well. :) At least they are cute pj's.

I shall try to pop by tomorrow to say bye and all that.

 
At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that _your_ snowman is adorable, he is exactly the correct proportions to store cookies in. _My_ snowman is ridiculous. He stores no cookies, and in fact does nothing at all except sit there and take up shelf space :).

Thanks for the cookie recipe. Now if only I could remember that paying attention part ;).

I was pretty certain that mom would just laugh. I've had conversations with her along these lines and along other, slightly less family oriented lines as well. Not recently, but it's there.

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, jordan shoes, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin shoes, longchamp outlet, gucci handbags, michael kors outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, burberry handbags, christian louboutin outlet, nike air max, uggs outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, polo ralph lauren outlet online, nike air max, michael kors outlet, nike outlet, uggs on sale, longchamp outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, louis vuitton, ugg boots, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, cheap oakley sunglasses, uggs outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, burberry outlet, polo outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home