quivering through sun-drunken delight

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Paths: "we apologise, but it avoids writing 'induced' about 600 times"

Somewhere between the marathon chess matches, the wide-eyed tourist photography, dinner, the operas and incidental books, breakfast and tea, and talking about the aforementioned (although not at a regular or prolific rate, my readers will attest), some work gets done.

A quick update on the status of the various classes that have come to my attention. I don't remember precisely where we were last time and somehow I don't want to look it up. So, beware repetition.

  • Introduction to Algebra, which induced a long discussion on the word "introduction," which along with cousins "basic," "elementary," "trivial," "easy," and so on does not seem to mean what the mathematicians think they mean. This got ditched in favour of two other classes at the same time. Same goes for Introduction to Analysis, except that it only overlapped one other class. While you're pretending to laugh at yet more ironic pedantry, let me observe that I was never taking Introduction to [Differential] Geometry, for I knew from the start that I wanted to take the other class at the same time, meaning that none of the three basic classes introduced by the department have done anything for me. Thanks for the thought, guys; fire the goobers who arranged your schedule. Moving on.

  • Langlands Correspondence and Representation Theory are the two overlapping the first above. I have a hazy recollection of mentioning this along with a bit of the sentimental side.

  • Algebraic Geometry, this time for real, not fake, not "introduction," not pretending to be "basic," is what induced me to let Analysis drop by the side this term. The trouble here, however, is that it's not an introductory class. Fortunately, due to a remarkable confluence of events, beginning with the fact that the class only meets once a week and ending with the professor's plane touching down an hour too late, it's been suspended for most of a month -- reconvene mid-November. I say this is fortunate because it will give me a little time to look up what all those words mean.

  • Discrete math is very interesting. The instructor is a resident professor named Paul Seymour; he is doing this class for the fall and another in the spring. In each case the topic of the class is a theorem he and his various teams have proved -- "Strong Perfect Graph Conjecture" (now "Theorem") for the fall, "Graph Minors Theorem" for the spring. This is neither amok vanity nor petty parochialism. Rather it happens that this man has to his name a couple of the biggest, splashiest results in graph theory. Selah. Is this not why one goes to such a school in the first place? Just to hear this man talk is breathtaking. It's not just the rapid dictation of diagrams and arguments or the hundred-fifty-page paper sitting on the desk that constitutes his lecture notes, not that he frequently checks it. It's the chit-chat about how he used to work just on graph minors, then started on induced subgraph problems, then got a grant for his team to study Berge graphs with an eye to the Strong Perfect Graph Conjecture, spent months studying the things, proved a nice result, found out someone beat them to it by just weeks, and anyway went on to solve a major outstanding problem.

In summa, it's sunny out these days even when it's raining.

Labels:

15 Comments:

At 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to read the rest of this later, but I wanted to post a link to my latest music video titled "Not Falling".

http://www.fooldome.com/videos/NotFalling.wmv

I believe there was a request a few blog entries back for me not to fall so much ;).

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger BKF said...

You know, the falling isn't totally objectionable to me, just the injuring part. I'm willing to accept that a certain amount of _je ne sais quoi_ adds to the thrill of the sport. But there were two breathtaking dives to the ground in that last video which made one wonder whether the pads were only preventing cosmetic injury while the insides were being shaken to a formless jelly.

Now I'm wondering if this is going to be a video of people playing cards and blowing bubbles -- not that blowing bubbles has stopped the falling in the past (think 'handstand'), but at least on the soft grass....

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, this video is of all of the times when we actually (surprisingly) _succeed_ at what we were attempting to do. And does have a few slow spots as I was trying to only use videos from the last few months.

The request was from Grandma and Grandpa in particular I believe, and was messaged to us by Dad who I think agreed with their sentiment.

I am fascinated to think about your graph theory course. Not only because it's the only subject in your list that I could even attempt to hold an intellectual candle to, but only because you are right -- professors like that are why you go to a school like Princeton. The experiences such a man would have would be worth going to listen to even if he weren't going to talk about the theories themselves.

On another topic, I got a GoogleTalk account setup, but haven't seen you online. Have I missed a step somewhere? I'm pretty certain that GAIM is connecting to the network, and I did send you a request to add you to my friends list, but haven't received an acceptance back. Should I re-send? Have you not had time yet? Talk to me! :P My account name is rythos42@gmail.com (not that I check that e-mail account).

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is tough when a graduate level course or seminar is labeled as "Introduction to...."

I will be talking to Craig to explain the Perfect Graph Theory when we have lunch later in the week.

Are you finding enough books at the library to fill in the vocabulary and such to attend the "non-Introductory" classes?

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me tell you Dad, I'm all over that Perfect Graphy Theory. And I just realized that I put a 'y' at the end of "Graph" without even thinking. That's how into the theory I am :P.

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To revisit a previous discussion, I noted that there are tigers (or marmots) leaning on shields on the top of the Vancouver Hotel.

I also noted, what appears to be, dragons on the corner edges.

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, jordan shoes, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin shoes, longchamp outlet, gucci handbags, michael kors outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, burberry handbags, christian louboutin outlet, nike air max, uggs outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, polo ralph lauren outlet online, nike air max, michael kors outlet, nike outlet, uggs on sale, longchamp outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, louis vuitton, ugg boots, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, cheap oakley sunglasses, uggs outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, burberry outlet, polo outlet

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

converse, canada goose, louis vuitton, converse outlet, vans, moncler outlet, moncler, pandora jewelry, toms shoes, replica watches, lancel, hollister, montre pas cher, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, karen millen uk, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler, links of london, pandora jewelry, canada goose jackets, louis vuitton, ugg pas cher, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, supra shoes, coach outlet, ugg, moncler outlet, hollister, pandora charms, canada goose, ugg uk, nike air max, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, ray ban, wedding dresses, barbour uk, canada goose outlet, pandora uk, canada goose outlet, canada goose, barbour, marc jacobs, doudoune moncler, moncler, gucci, thomas sabo, juicy couture outlet, canada goose uk, moncler uk, canada goose outlet

 
At 1:42 AM, Anonymous capsa said...

I agree with most all of this info. Great work.

 
At 7:53 AM, Anonymous slot online android said...

This is an extremely well written article.

 
At 5:01 AM, Anonymous game judi slot online said...

I genuinely prize your piece of work, Great post.

 
At 12:32 AM, Anonymous bola tangkas 88 said...

Awesome info over again. I am looking forward for your next post!

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous agen judi slot online said...

Heya i’m for the first time here.

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous how to find expired domains said...

Fantastic blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you suggest starting with a free platform like Word press or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m completely overwhelmed .. Any tips? Kudos! how to find expired domains

 
At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Skin Care Routine said...

I require an expert on this area to unravel my problem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home