quivering through sun-drunken delight

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Lectures: "bounded in a nutshell"

Sunday brunch included salmon. Smoked.

Classes at the math department, I am told, traditionally start a little later than usual. At today's class the instructor told us that he would be away at a conference next week, so there wouldn't be any lectures, but this was just as well, since we started early.

Yesterday I attended one class, so-called "Introduction to Analysis." They call it "introduction" but keep in mind that it is no such thing. Evidence of this arises from a member of the faculty mentioning that they would not be covering Lebesgue integration and other "boring stuff" like that. Anyway, this class meets once a week for a 2.5 hour lecture (?!) plus potentially a seminar for the students. The instructor began by telling us that he would not be writing anything on the board today, "for a superficial reason," he explained, "namely that I cannot raise my right arm." Consequently after fifteen minutes or so he left. Commence students agog wondering mock agawk: "So, what is wrong with your left arm?" and "Can't you dictate it to one of the students to write?"

The real shame was that this meant there was really no reason not to have gone to the other lecture I was interested in, on finite simple groups, which would have overlapped in the last half hour. "I wonder what it's about? Presumably he's not going to prove the classification." -- every single person I've discussed this with has made this joke. Yes, it was the first thing I thought of, too. For the normal people among readers, the classification of finite simple groups is touted as one of the most remarkable intellectual achievements of man by Those In The Know and is currently spread out across some fifteen thousand pages of articles in mathematical journals, written by about four hundred authors. (Highlights include the Feit-Thompson theorem, "every odd-order group is solvable" (255 pages), and the Thompson theorem, "if every subgroup of G generated by two elements is solvable then G is solvable" (475 pages), not to mention the discovery of the Monster "sporadic" simple group, with about 8 * 1054 [if I counted right] elements in it.)

This morning, as I mentioned, there was another class, an introduction to algebraic geometry. (It is actually just called "Introduction to Algebra," keeping in line with their spectacularly mistaken nomenclature.) I don't know if I will be continuing to attend these lectures since there are one or two other classes at overlapping time slots which look very interesting. One of these is the one recommended to me (described in the previous post, below) and another is a class on representation theory being taught by my first-year advisor. I haven't actually seen him (he's on vacation at the moment) but conceivably this might be a prudent thing to look into. Anyway, this algebra class went fine, until the very end, when he tried to squeeze in a proof of the Nullstellensatz (a fundamental theorem of algebraic geometry) and stated and proved a lemma which is obviously false. That was somewhat confusing.

Afterward I was wondering what to do. Since I hadn't slept very well (a partial consequence of some racket outside at six o'clock and then continuing interruptions as people wake up and open their doors which then close by themselves with an apocalyptic thud) I was hardly in a mood to sit down and read my textbook (still Šafarevic). I was pacing aimlessly outside when I ran into a colleague and his wife, who very kindly suggested that if I was going for a walk then I should borrow their umbrella since it seemed about to rain. For my part I didn't think it would rain (it was cloudly overhead, but that means nothing in a land without mountains, and it was moist in the air, but it's been stultifyingly humid ever since I got here) so I thanked them and begged off.

But I still thought I should take a walk, and thought maybe they were right and it would rain, so I returned home to pick up my umbrella. (It's about 15 minutes or less between Fine Hall and the Graduate College, depending on the vigor of your pace and the efficiency of your path.) I arrived without incident and was making my way back when I thought that while I was here I should refresh myself and bring to mind an actual proof of the Nullstellensatz. So I returned and did so. Having satisfied my curiosity, I stood, collected my umbrella again, and left.

An instant before that apocalyptic thud I realised I, my thoughts still among the corners of affine spaces, had left my keys on my desk when I was looking through my algebra text.

After some fierce self-flagellation, I took my amateur medieval monk self over to beg the appropriate authorities resolve my predicament. This they promptly did, according to their schedule, anyway, which scaled to about two hours of Me Time, which I spent pacing up and down the halls. This created a burning in my legs which took my mind off my burning shame. I think it may have had a different effect on the few neighbours still in their rooms at the time.

Having cursed life, death, creation, and locksmiths everywhere, I once again set off to Fine Hall. For one thing, I had left my bag there. For another, there was afternoon tea which I hadn't quite missed yet. This tea (and cookie, Oreo brand) was adequate and took my mind off my troubles a little.

By this time, of course -- "Look, Sulu, it's a miracle." The sun came out.

I hope they have more salmon this week.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting that the page indicates two comments but the link comes up with none. There is a math problem in there somewhere.

Now you know the reason for those large key (and other things) chains that the younger generation is currently sporting. That or a necklace with extension.

By the sounds of the available classes, you will have to talk to a lot of people to get a consensus as to the classes that are worth your time and attend those. Otherwise you will be randomly taking different classes until, later in October, you settle into a regualr schedule.

My experience with Math professors mirrors your current comments, lots of reasons for various actins that appear out of the norm.

Afternoon tea and smoked salmon for breakfast, such a luxury! I hope that they offer sufficient other food stuffs.

As you mentioned, if a proof takes hundreds of pages, how is one going to be discussed during the last five minutes of class? At least you have access to be able to review the results and correct the information supplied.

Good luck!

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, smoked salmon. But is it the famous "BC Smoked Salmon"? I think not. Perhaps you are getting Atlantic Salmon instead?

I'm off to mom's for dinner this evening, she intends to spend at least some time in front of the computer talking with you while I am around. You have been warned (hopefully) in advance :). I think she wants to feel like both of us are there despite the fact that only one of us is there ;).

It is very good that you have the problem with classes that you do - namely to many to take and not enough time. My years of university started narrowing my excitement down until I was only really excited about my compilers class (I'm writing a LUA compiler as a personal project these days :P) and a good lot of the other things were just for graduation. Thus entered second year English, which people who know me well will shake their head and wonder if I had lot certain crucial bolts in my head.

Krystal lost her keys yesterday as well :). Thankfully she went over to Ted's to hang out for a bit. After a thorough search of her room she asked "Uhh...what happens if I've lost my keys" to which I explained that Bob would probably be quite annoyed. A few moments later she found them in her purse ;).

Do you read my journal at all? If so, I will try to tailor my posts to you a little more. I have gotten into the habit of writing for my friends who for the most part are joining me in the things I do, or have at least 3 other people writing about an event to read about. :)

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger BKF said...

What I want to know is -- what fool makes a door that can't be locked from the outside? It's obvious these problems don't happen with regular doors, possessing a deadbolt and a handle, because you have to throw the bolt after you've stepped through. So what is this goofy set-up for?

The proof he was trying to squeeze into the end of class does not require hundreds of pages. An adequate exposition can be done in 3-5 for these students. (Probably for the theorem in question they would accept it without proof.)

Yes, Craig, I've been alerted that I shouldn't be going out tonight; and, I do try to keep tabs on what's going on Back Home.

Today I went to see a number theory seminar. (That is the correct verb.) Completely arcane. I need to find some books to explain the notation.

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger BKF said...

By the way, the "two comments/no comments" abberation is probably because of the spam I get and then delete. If you open the page in a certain narrow time frame I guess this is the result.

 
At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

During this era of high security and the previous and current concerns for personal safety, a number of defaults have been put in place including auto-locking doors. There is now no chance of you forgetting to lock your door, either as you leave for a class or when you return to study.

An adequate proof in 3-5 pages but he made an error? The "proof" that is in the marketing office starts as "To finda a woman you need Time and Money, therefore Woman=Time X Money" and goes on to show that Woman=Problems. Of course the opening line is wrong as "and" is not "X".

What part of number theory is arcane to you? Speaking of which, how is the libray there? Does it emulate the stacks in the UBC Main Library?

I have corrupted your old computer by installing Microsoft Office on it, sorry, I use Outlook for my mail. In the Archives folder there are a number of files that look to be programs or upgrades to programs, is this the case?

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger BKF said...

Arcane -- pretty much everything to do with the representation theory of the absolute Galois group (local, global, whichever you like).

Haven't been to the library as yet, but now I have a reason to visit it.

Yes, there are programs etc. in there, also a bit more -- take a gander.

 
At 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My door locks automaticly. I like it. Most apartments I've lived in are that way, I found your guys' to be in the minority. :)

~hugs~

mmmm math.... I have nothing to say as I know only a small amount about my very basic math. :) it boggles my brain to even try to imagine what kinds of crazy math things you are up to. :)

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think he's up to the "mind boggling" kind of math :P

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, jordan shoes, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin shoes, longchamp outlet, gucci handbags, michael kors outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, burberry handbags, christian louboutin outlet, nike air max, uggs outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, polo ralph lauren outlet online, nike air max, michael kors outlet, nike outlet, uggs on sale, longchamp outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, louis vuitton, ugg boots, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, cheap oakley sunglasses, uggs outlet, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, burberry outlet, polo outlet

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

ray ban pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, coach outlet store online, ralph lauren uk, michael kors, coach purses, hollister pas cher, converse pas cher, nike air max, nike roshe run uk, kate spade, hogan outlet, nike free run, true religion outlet, ray ban uk, north face, replica handbags, burberry pas cher, coach outlet, new balance, true religion outlet, nike air max uk, hollister uk, polo lacoste, nike air max uk, nike free uk, oakley pas cher, air max, true religion outlet, michael kors pas cher, nike air force, michael kors outlet, nike roshe, jordan pas cher, michael kors, vans pas cher, lululemon canada, nike tn, timberland pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike blazer pas cher, abercrombie and fitch uk, louboutin pas cher, longchamp pas cher, north face uk, sac longchamp pas cher, sac hermes, guess pas cher, mulberry uk, true religion jeans

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

converse, canada goose, louis vuitton, converse outlet, vans, moncler outlet, moncler, pandora jewelry, toms shoes, replica watches, lancel, hollister, montre pas cher, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, karen millen uk, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler, links of london, pandora jewelry, canada goose jackets, louis vuitton, ugg pas cher, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, supra shoes, coach outlet, ugg, moncler outlet, hollister, pandora charms, canada goose, ugg uk, nike air max, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, ray ban, wedding dresses, barbour uk, canada goose outlet, pandora uk, canada goose outlet, canada goose, barbour, marc jacobs, doudoune moncler, moncler, gucci, thomas sabo, juicy couture outlet, canada goose uk, moncler uk, canada goose outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home