quivering through sun-drunken delight

Monday, September 05, 2005

Arrival: "as much like Oxford as monkeys could make it"

Pictures, pictures! He held the camera in his hand and felt a giddy rush. Let me chronicle the world, he said. Later he sorted through them.

Here's my journey, up to now. Click images for a slightly larger view. (I took them all at 22xx by 17xx but obviously I'm not hosting something like that.)

I wonder if they cap my bandwidth each month, or just get angry if I use too much. Judging from the sustained 1 megabyte per second transfer I got downloading a patch earlier today, though, they're not in much of a position to carp.

There seems to be a high gap of white-space between here and the start of the table. Someone give me a clue? HTML and me, huh --

[Postscript. Some small edits Monday morning. I feel particular shame over my inability to reason spatially in a certain skew shot near the top.]




















































































patience on the runway
On the tarmac On the second flight of the day, Toronto to Newark, I had a window seat. In fact, an emergency window seat. The flight attendent quite earnestly asked me if this was all right. "As long as it's not used," I quipped. Here we're waiting on the tarmac. Later he explained how to remove the window. As it turns out, it was not used.
ascending to the heavens
On top of Toronto Take-off is pretty exciting when you're there, somewhat less so when you're not. Obviously, the anticipation and the power of the engine and the floor not being down anymore are integral to the experience. I guess this captures that last a little bit. Anyway, Toronto looks like a nice place from the air. If only its citizens didn't have that infernal gall of theirs. Vancouverites know better: their city is best, or maybe would be if Zurich vanished.
suspended o'ertop
Clouds over Toronto And here's proof. Take a look at that. No mountains in sight! They've got some water, sure, (it's not really near an ocean,) but where are the mountains? Without them, those dangling clouds are cute, not an antediluvian menace.
modern world at a glance
On top of Toronto My worldly American neighbours might find this charmingly rustic, provincial, even parochial. Just like the lady at the shuttle bus company who asked for my phone number (to look for it in the database: still trying to find my reservation at this stage) and, upon receipt, said with fatigue bordering on contempt: "Area code..."
not upside down
Fluffy clouds I took a lot of clouds pics, more or less under the hope that one or two might turn out all right, interesting, etc. A few did the former but the clouds that day just weren't so exotic or photogenic. This is the fluffiest of the bunch. As you can see, its chief redeeming feature is the novelty that it looks like it's upside-down, taken at sea, but it's not. The clouds are below us, ho-ho.
clouds swim among clouds
More varied clouds I'm on top of the world, looking down on Creation, bum bum, bum,...
not actually inside Miniluv
Hallway outside Just after putting my bags inside, I snapped this shot of the sterile-looking hallway. There is one more pair of doors behind me, making ten in all. (Those keeping track will realise I mistakenly put myself "third from the back" previously. Shucks.) Fortunately, at this stage my large suitcase was propping the door open, preventing me from, say, accidentally locking myself out.
evidence those stains are not my fault
Room inside It's slightly fuzzy, and the colours aren't totally right, but we work with the single shot we snapped before moving in. (I'm not taking another one and revealing to the world that even without any of my boxes I can still suffer the shame of an untidy room.) Still, the calm, cozy feel is apt. Careful examination will reveal that there are two chairs, not one, and pretty comfortable ones, at that. The closet and drawers are on the right, blocked by what looks like the door, still propped open by my luggage. All in all, much better than I had feared. Shortly afterward I tried to relax. Rather thirsty from the long trips through a sun-drenched world, I stepped out to fill my mug from the washroom sink. My luggage was no longer adjacent to the door.
idyllic Elysium
almost a landscape Go down the humourless hallway, through the menacing firedoor, into the atrium, and look left. This is the pleasant slice of pastoral New Jersey that you will see. I went on a walkabout today [Sunday -- this entry posted early Monday morning], snapping photos as I went. It was very bright out, very summer-like.
brick and mortar, arch and lamp-post
Small archway Not quite like the buildings back home. This is still on the grounds of the Graduate College. The architecture is entirely typical of more-than-every-other building on campus. I'm sure in a few months I will be quite oblivious to it, so a few shots to send Back Home are in order.
Tower of Babel Cleveland
Cleveland Tower Jutting up to heaven, Cleveland Tower looks o'er the Graduate College. I assume there was a person named Cleveland, who possibly donated some money. Most of the buildings around here have plaques ready to inform us of the buildings' history. No doubt a cursory examination would have revealed the sordid story of this bright tower, but I had an agenda. Today I wanted to find a first-approximation of an efficient route to the math building, Fine Hall.
archaic meets modern among architects
Old and new buildings More or less, I planned to just "walk over there," taking what few turns I might need to. Alas, it did not turn out that way. Here I get distracted by an anachronistic juxtaposition.
just pleasantly archaic
Old building After just a couple of left/right decisions, I was getting onto the wrong track. My path-finding algorithm didn't seem to be so good. This makes concrete some of the jokes I was telling just yesterday: "Ah-ha! A solution does exist!" ("but it runs in n2 factorial time!" -- true story from commutative algebra. -- or something like that; I just remember hearing it from Zinovy Reichstein.) Anyway, I amused myself by taking some pictures along the way. This made me feel slightly more productive. However, given the sun I would have traded it for actual productivity.
more detour
Old buildings A slightly more-grand-than-typical building. I like the turrets. If I had turned right 'round about here, I would have been peachy. But I decided to circle back and try a different path after consulting with my map.
same detour
Old buildings and lions But why would you do that, I hear you asking. After all, it's counter to the algorithm. The first reason is that there is a solid black line of a building where I thought I was on the map. The second reason is carefully hidden in this shot of yet another building I thought looked nice, the rube I am.
malformed, wicked lion-beaver-things, defend us!
Old buildings and lions Here's detail on the guardian figures by the road of the shot above. I have no idea what those things are, but I'll just call them lions, because they don't look much like tigers. They don't look so much like lions from this angle, either. I think I just called them lions because I'm accustomed to seeing statues of lions. They're certainly not hoary marmots. Note, while we're here, the forbidding DO NOT ENTER (on pain of horrific things, they evidently didn't have enough space to elaborate) sign.
flying beasts, defend us!
Gargoyle By this time I was keeping an eye out for that old standby, the gargoyle. It didn't take twenty seconds to find this example. I think it's some sort of lizard-snake-dragon-thing.
more ostentation
Frist Campus Center This is one entrance to the Frist Campus Center (yes, that Frist), where apparently all the happening things happen, like the chess club. At this stage I knew again where I was -- this building is quite close to Fine Hall.
a fine hall
Fine Hall At last, that veritable holy place. It's a huge building. I didn't take any shots from high-atop, on the theory that I had to save something for later. I was also rather hungry and wanted to get home. Consequently after collecting my snippets of mail from the box here I made my way to a small Greek diner I had noted from the Guide to Everything I received when I checked in. (It is aptly named.) I also found a helpful list of incoming graduate students. Apparently there are fifteen of us. Long-time readers will realise that this ameliorated a potentially awkward situation that had been on my mind.
en avante, lion-things
Lions from behind On the way back, I found a quite acceptable route, very direct, west across campus, although not quite at the north/south level I'd want. It was not until I passed through these curious-looking statues that I realised I had very nearly been here before. The fools! Their sign was wrong!
sweet home again
My desk Finally, I returned home. All told I was out for a little more than 1.5 hours. It felt like a little longer than that. I'm still not quite on their time. Today otherwise I've been reading and resting. I took a brief nap, more or less by accident, which was probably not a good idea; but it did leave me alert enough to hammer out this update. It is now past midnight, Eastern. I'll have to change Sun-Drunken time to that of the East coast. I confess I'm still mentally subtracting three every time I look at a clock, even though they're all Eastern, but there was a time this afternoon when I took my watch at face value. The assimilation proceeds.

Labels: , , , ,

13 Comments:

At 2:29 AM, Blogger Thomas Nguyen said...

Those are great pictures Balin! I feel like I'm there with you right now...kind of freaky I know...

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pics. Princeton is now a visual place in my head. Those creatures look rather like MenacingWeasels than lions. And it looks like your shelving space is being used up already :). You don't even have your 11 boxes of Stuph yet!

I had a fabulous 3 hour bus ride from Granville and Broadway to my camp ground. If you read my journal, an accounting will be there eventually today or tomorrow.

I began the cleaning process. Bleach now soaks our sink! :P (it can be your sink too for a while)

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger BKF said...

I got a closer look today. I think they might be tigers after all.

I had a productive day and it's not even 11 o'clock yet. -- wait, that was three hours ago. Never mind.

I went down to Visa Services today to check in as per immigration requirements. They were extremely pleasant and helpful both, a delightfully welcome change. For one thing, they informed me that the letter I got instructing me to fill out such-and-such a tax form by -- uhh, tomorrow, impossible without an ITIN, was incorrect. Apparently I will get a correction letter shortly. Phew. Also, I was concerned by a letter they sent me that said (in bold capital letters) "failure to register [online, as a full-time student] in a timely manner [namely by Sept 14] could jeopardise your immigation status." This was giving some undue gravitas to my coming confrontation with Princeton University Health Services, who threaten to block registration until my medical history is complete. But it turns out that what Visa Services wanted was slightly less than what UHS was threatening to prevent. Phew. I may have to take that KUCA back. Probably before I get around to it someone will have vexed me again.

I went to Fine Hall and said 'hello'. Got myself a desk: there are 14 in a large, common office for first-year graduate students. You will recall I said there are 15 students incoming. Two people had come before me and staked out what are pretty clearly the best, but I got an interesting alternative which I'll describe at some later date.

Also opened a bank account. Painless. Just the way I and my blood pressure, not to mention the ol' intestine, like it. It's nice to have the long weekend over, to be able to expect again that institutions are open in the middle of the day!

Now I just need to hear (good news?) from Papa regarding the useless creatures over at the courier shop. In a curious dichotomy I sometimes look at the clocks and wonder why things seem to be happening a little slower, say, everyone is about three hours later than usual. -- hmm.

 
At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooo! Pics!! :) Fabulous, the campus looks really neat, I can't wait to see more stuff. :)

I'm glad you got there and settled in ok. :)

 
At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

also!

http://pics.livejournal.com/cinnamonsqueak/

Thats the link to where I put my pics. You can wander through and may on occassion see ppl you know.

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The commentary was a good as the pictures. You need a flash to capture the grandness of the Room!

I would vote for beavers but that would be a Canadian thing and closer examination could prove me wrong.

I am gathering from the various comments that you need a keychain around you neck to ensure access to your many rooms?

Now that the 11 boxes are on their way (at last check) will you have room for everything?

So you have set up your bank account, stacked out a desk (we will discuss the dark reaches of the UBC stacks in another message) and had your first (I hope many by this time) meal out in the eastern world. Now what to do for excitement until the balance of the campus returns to activity?

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger BKF said...

Not much of note happening these past few days since my last update (above, in the comments). Still gathering my strength for the inevitable confrontation with the vampiric beasts at Health Services.

Today was the first day of the "international student orientation." Being Canadian, remarkably little of it applied to me, and what did was principally repetition of what I'd already read. It reinforced my feeling as a "fake international student," with principal credential in this direction being encounters with baleful customs officers. Still, there was both breakfast (muffins, the first tea I've drank since coming here -- missed that very badly -- and cranberry juice, with real cranberry juice in it, to stave off the scurvy) and lunch (in the Chinese style). I look forward to more of the same tomorrow.

Maybe sometime in there I can sneak off to get some pictures of the office space I've claimed. But not the view from Fine Hall -- you'll have to wait until Monday (math dept. welcome and orientation) for that.

My boxes, for those wondering how this anticlimatic dirge will meet its sonorous end, are in America (phew) and en route (phew) except (agh) possibly for four of them which might still be in Vancouver or might just not have been properly scanned into the tracking database.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger BKF said...

These days, I forgot to mention, I spend my time enjoying the fine things online, the anthology I brought (not going to last too much longer), and of course Safarevic's book ("Basic Algebraic Geometry"). On the subject of quasiprojective varieties I begin to feel slightly less clueless. Slightly.

Tonight I have the special sport of watching from the sidelines the spread of the Sasser worm through the Princeton network -- or something which tries to use the same exploit, anyway. I've gotten two attempts in the past ten minutes (from different sources). I don't really understand how such a thing can spread if the hole was patched over a year ago?

 
At 3:31 AM, Blogger Dickolas Wang said...

I used to feel like a faux-international student myself. But as time went on, I definitely started to feel more at home with the other international students and began to really identify myself as coming from a different culture.

Maybe it's just me though.

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

ray ban pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, coach outlet store online, ralph lauren uk, michael kors, coach purses, hollister pas cher, converse pas cher, nike air max, nike roshe run uk, kate spade, hogan outlet, nike free run, true religion outlet, ray ban uk, north face, replica handbags, burberry pas cher, coach outlet, new balance, true religion outlet, nike air max uk, hollister uk, polo lacoste, nike air max uk, nike free uk, oakley pas cher, air max, true religion outlet, michael kors pas cher, nike air force, michael kors outlet, nike roshe, jordan pas cher, michael kors, vans pas cher, lululemon canada, nike tn, timberland pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike blazer pas cher, abercrombie and fitch uk, louboutin pas cher, longchamp pas cher, north face uk, sac longchamp pas cher, sac hermes, guess pas cher, mulberry uk, true religion jeans

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

ray ban pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, coach outlet store online, ralph lauren uk, michael kors, coach purses, hollister pas cher, converse pas cher, nike air max, nike roshe run uk, kate spade, hogan outlet, nike free run, true religion outlet, ray ban uk, north face, replica handbags, burberry pas cher, coach outlet, new balance, true religion outlet, nike air max uk, hollister uk, polo lacoste, nike air max uk, nike free uk, oakley pas cher, air max, true religion outlet, michael kors pas cher, nike air force, michael kors outlet, nike roshe, jordan pas cher, michael kors, vans pas cher, lululemon canada, nike tn, timberland pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike blazer pas cher, abercrombie and fitch uk, louboutin pas cher, longchamp pas cher, north face uk, sac longchamp pas cher, sac hermes, guess pas cher, mulberry uk, true religion jeans

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

converse, canada goose, louis vuitton, converse outlet, vans, moncler outlet, moncler, pandora jewelry, toms shoes, replica watches, lancel, hollister, montre pas cher, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, karen millen uk, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler, links of london, pandora jewelry, canada goose jackets, louis vuitton, ugg pas cher, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, supra shoes, coach outlet, ugg, moncler outlet, hollister, pandora charms, canada goose, ugg uk, nike air max, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, ray ban, wedding dresses, barbour uk, canada goose outlet, pandora uk, canada goose outlet, canada goose, barbour, marc jacobs, doudoune moncler, moncler, gucci, thomas sabo, juicy couture outlet, canada goose uk, moncler uk, canada goose outlet

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

converse, canada goose, louis vuitton, converse outlet, vans, moncler outlet, moncler, pandora jewelry, toms shoes, replica watches, lancel, hollister, montre pas cher, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, karen millen uk, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler, links of london, pandora jewelry, canada goose jackets, louis vuitton, ugg pas cher, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, supra shoes, coach outlet, ugg, moncler outlet, hollister, pandora charms, canada goose, ugg uk, nike air max, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, ray ban, wedding dresses, barbour uk, canada goose outlet, pandora uk, canada goose outlet, canada goose, barbour, marc jacobs, doudoune moncler, moncler, gucci, thomas sabo, juicy couture outlet, canada goose uk, moncler uk, canada goose outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home