quivering through sun-drunken delight

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Classes: "will to the thinkability of all things"

I've been trying out the local wireless internet service. I take the laptop down to Fine Hall and watch chess in the afternoons. In case you haven't heard (huh), the 'world championship' (long story) is taking place right now, in Argentina. (No more games played in east Siberia being over before I wake up in Pacific time zone.) As I type it's mid-evening here and Topalov seems about to pick up his second win in as many rounds -- against Leko and Anand, respectively, canonically described as the principal competition, which one would think would put him far ahead of the pack (twelve rounds remaining notwithstanding). It seems Topalov is playing like a man possessed, not exactly by Caissa, but with boundless fight -- today he refused to take back the exchange he sacrificed even when it seemed that he no longer had any compensation, just, somehow, to keep fighting. And it seems to have paid off, as Anand proves that not even Anand can play fifty moves of perfect chess. What an allegory: "If I can't be right, at least be bold--"

Which brings me to the list which has dominated my attention for the past week:

  • Analysis -- since the instructor was still unable to manipulate the digits of his hand, he -- got someone else to teach the class. It turns out that there is a class in algebraic geometry basically at the same time which I might go to instead. I had some notion that I should take some analysis-type class with an eye to that part of the general exam, but the overlapping of material seems to be non-existent, to the extent where one hardly even needs to recall the material salient to one side to execute the tasks on the other. So it looks like I just spend some time with Folland or Rudin (textbooks) sometime between now and next October (or whenever).

  • The Very Bad Characteristic -- a very pleasant surprise. It seems this class will be very accessible and very interesting. It is only too bad that it is so early in the morning, I can hardly wake up early enough to eat breakfast, make and drink my tea, walk over there, and so forth. (Today one of these got cut out. "Walk over there" wasn't it.)

    While there is a lot of mathematics that I enjoy -- I don't hold with those who disparage commutative algebra or whatever -- I've a special fondness for Galois theory, (roughly speaking the study of symmetries of algebraic numbers), which I first learned as an impressionable young undergraduate. It is the most beautiful mathematical theory I have known, something which by the maxim "excess is proof of itself" demonstrates a fortiori that there is beauty in mathematics. To work on a problem in this field would be satisfying, indeed; and that it relates deeply to the study of algebraic geometry, the field I'm slighting when I say "most beautiful," well,...

    Something, as we say in our reserved language, to keep an eye on.

  • Representation theory -- which I attend because my advisor is teaching it and it seemed like the politic thing to do. I think by the end I may be believing that "to impress this person" is one of the classically idiotic reasons to do something. Or some reflection along these lines (append some caveats and provisos). It is not yet clear where we are going with this theory so I'll soldier on for now, especially since my resolve to stay with the class in the previous bullet point means I won't be able to attend the "introduction to algebra" class further.

    The trouble is that it feels like everyone else in the room is there because they're Really Serious about representation theory, whereas I'm halfway there on a lark, not a total lark, I like it fine, but it's pretty far from being a career interest of mine. It's a pervasive feeling, though.

  • Discrete math -- seems like a lot of fun, as discrete math often is. Rapid-fire graph theory. In the afternoon but not late enough that I can take a nap after the morning classes.



That's about where it lies. I bought some books online (what a miraculous form of commerce), and picked up a little something else, too -- Verdi's Rigoletto, and, under the hypothesis that the neighbours don't like Verdi like I like Verdi, some headphones. Not "extremely good" ones but not disposable, either. Seems like pretty good sound, right down to the singers' steps on the stage and the coughs in the audience.

Got to keep entertained here, you know.

I'm sitting here, kind of in disbelief, because it seems like Topalov may manage not to win after all. Such a sad story. Sitting partly entranced by what is happening and partly because Blogger is undergoing maintenance, preventing me from submitting this for the moment. Fortunately, I still don't know what's going on in Morozevich's game. Yet mysteries of the universe. ("--try to solve them, but can you? -- nope; they're mysteries.")

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Blogger BKF said...

In severe time pressure, after the logical outcome of the game has changed many times in minutes, three minutes shy of seven hours of play, the Titans stop making war in the heavens -- Topalov and Anand draw.

(So do Leko and Morozevich, somewhat earlier.)

 
At 12:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you viewed the local chess gathering and leaned over with a whisper of "queen's knight takes E5 pawn"?

Given the descriptions of the course (lectures?) available, it is a wonder that you are able to determine the correct path on this random walk.

Craig's previous comment regarding the library likely is a good one, ask your advisor where the good books are and follow his lead.

is your mail box secure or do they deliver to your room? Always good if your ordered books and DVD's get to you instead of your dorm-mates.

Has the chess tournament developed to your satisfaction to date?

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger BKF said...

I haven't actually been to the local chess club, for totally accidental reasons. Somehow I've always been busy when they meet, right up to these marathon games in Argentina (another 6+ hour game last night). It's also an (ahem) undergraduate club, although I've been advised, quite prudently I think, that the extremely slight difference in age shouldn't keep me away -- never mind that the difference can be the other way, too, if there are any seniors there.

(Since arriving here, I've finally found out what "freshman/sophomore/junior/senior" mean, and that they go in that order. The things we never knew.)

I think I'm a Topalov fan, just because Morozevich will never make it and I can't really root for someone to win the tourney when they have no chance at all. He's got some moxy, Topalov has. Gut, as they say in 1940's magazines. And there's that thing about losing the famous game against Kasparov in 1999. He could have bailed out with a draw at the beginning of the combination but he went into it and lost a brilliancy instead. Man should get some compensation for that. Anyway, he and Anand both won yesterday, so that's very much to my desire -- competition's fierce.

Yes, I think the profs know all about the good books to get. I've followed their discretion heretofore. In a not-totally-related incident it's left me with books like "A Friendly Introduction to Number Theory," but then, he did apologise for that.

They deliver packages to the (secured) mailroom; a note to this effect is left in my (locked) mailbox; I take this to the officials to pick up my package.

Yesterday I found a nice surprise in my mailbox, first month's stipend cheque. (I thought I signed up for direct deposit but I won't complain yet.) It appears to have the correct amount under "Taxes" on the attached statement. I guess I have to take a little trip today to see my bank.

Speaking of which, they have the most extraordinary feature for their debit cards: they have a sixteen digit number attached, just like a credit card, which you can use wherever you'd use a credit card, and it pays for your purchase from your chequing account. In other words: a debit card you can use wherever you can use a credit card. Just what I wanted!

 
At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just don't go wild and spend all of your money!!! It has to last the month.

Sometimes the system takes a while to kick in so the next cheque could go directly to your account.

Since it is greater than 6 hours, has the good guy won?

Given the Junior, sophmore etc designation, where do you fit in? AL\lso I suspect you are younger than a reasonable percentage of the attendees.

Will there be a flash picture(s) of your room and hallway soon.

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger BKF said...

Yes, I've restrained myself from going out and getting that seven-DVD set of _Der Ring des Nibelungen_.

As a graduate student, I think I've earned a position outside of the usual classification spectrum.

Topalov won again today. Anand lost. (So did Morozevich.) So Topalov leads at 3.5/4 ahead of Svidler at 3/4, whom he plays on Monday (Sunday is a rest day).

 
At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I borrowed a book from Bruce after I left their place on Saturday. "Introduction to Time". And surprisingly it is _actually_ an introduction. Fascinating material, although I didn't get enough sleep last night to properly enjoy it today. Back to comics, I purchased Star Wars Dark Empire and Dark Empire II. I noticed that you have them in digital format on your computer. Have you opinions on them? I thought that the writing and art is clearly mid 80s, but that it is well done regardless. Part of me hoped that Luke had a better reason for joining the Emperor than to "steal his technology secrets".

Sandi (co-worker) thinks that your yellow scheme is quite distracting. My brain isn't functioning properly right now, so I was so focused on the words that I hardly noticed. But at least you don't have moving things in the columns. Tried to read an article this morning with moving things and it didn't work out. My eyes kept moving to the columns and I couldn't finish the article. More sleep sounds good.

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

ray ban pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, coach outlet store online, ralph lauren uk, michael kors, coach purses, hollister pas cher, converse pas cher, nike air max, nike roshe run uk, kate spade, hogan outlet, nike free run, true religion outlet, ray ban uk, north face, replica handbags, burberry pas cher, coach outlet, new balance, true religion outlet, nike air max uk, hollister uk, polo lacoste, nike air max uk, nike free uk, oakley pas cher, air max, true religion outlet, michael kors pas cher, nike air force, michael kors outlet, nike roshe, jordan pas cher, michael kors, vans pas cher, lululemon canada, nike tn, timberland pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike blazer pas cher, abercrombie and fitch uk, louboutin pas cher, longchamp pas cher, north face uk, sac longchamp pas cher, sac hermes, guess pas cher, mulberry uk, true religion jeans

 

Post a Comment

<< Home