quivering through sun-drunken delight

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Zwischenzug: "Das Leben, doch nicht den Ring!"

This week I went to see a short lecture series entitled "Love, Justice, and Power in Wagner's Ring," just for a bit of colour, you know, break up the 'math, math, math' monochrome monodrome. (Speaking of math jokes.) It was staged by a visiting professor, who gave three lectures ranging from understanding the Ring in terms of Kant's philosophical anthropology to the epistemological (?) and dramatic status of the leitmotif. He gave his talks in a lecture hall in the musicology building, where they have pianos and large speakers, of which he took advantage.

Almost needless to say, this was quite too much for me to handle; I broke down and ordered that seven-DVD set of the Ring. I felt a little shameful, some pathetic Puritan atavism, so I got Neurkirch's "Cohomology of number fields" too, which promises to be entertaining reading.


Getting chilly here (single-digits centigrade). Still no snow, I guess not for a week or two yet. Not especially looking forward to walking to Fine Hall in the snow but I've been advised there's actually a shuttle bus to there (among other places) from the Graduate College (and back) which might obviate this difficulty. Since I need new shoes (among other things) I may have to avail myself, but then where would I take walks?

1 Comments:

At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you are keeping track of the purchases, you have to account for them when you come back (bring them back) as to what and dollars, and you will need to add them to the expensive list we already created for goods going south.

Unfortunately, most of my purchases have been clothing related, lots of offers of CD's, DVD's and VCD's but all, I suspect, are pirated (Windows XP for $10?).

Enjoy the cool weather I assume it will get hot soon enough. Think boots not shoes for the snow.

Bring the Ring CD's home, I would like to hear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home