quivering through sun-drunken delight

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Toward the Rising Sun: "adieu, adieu, remember me"

Dear friends,

It is about that time. Shortly the music will stop playing and the light will surrender as night descends on Vancouver for the last time. (For me.) The next time you hear from me I'll have been eastward-bound.

Early tomorrow, about 6 o'clock, we'll be leaving here for the airport. Putter around for a while until the 8 o'clock flight. If the headwinds are all right and the organisation proficient I'll be in Toronto in under 4.5 hours. There's a too-brief stop here, a little more than an hour and a half, to get my way to the next terminal and through customs (and get myself that F visa). Then another flight, under 1.5 hours, to Newark airport. I have a ticket for a bus to Princeton which will be leaving at 8:15 (Eastern), somewhat after I arrive, so there's a bit of room here.

Then a little over an hour to Princeton, call it a twenty-five minute walk to the Graduate College complex where I'll be living -- it is not actually that long but I will have two rather heavy bags with me -- and a few minutes longer -- navigate the complex, trudge up the stairs -- those first timid steps into the hallway I'll come to know very well -- and there, on the left, third from the back: Room 2716, my 11 by 10 dwelling. Key in door. Opens. Musty air escapes. There's no light streaming through the window. I scan for a light switch -- there. The incandescent bulb lights again, but it's still dark-like, it's not the soft and familiar glow of the bulb behind and above my head right now, halo-like. Still, there's a bed; and I'll hobble to it, leaving my bags on the ground, and sit down. Take stock. The mattress is slightly too hard. I'm slightly hungry. It's not quite home. But that's all right: it will be. So I open the larger suitcase -- where are my pillows? -- that chair looks uncomfortable, and I have some work to do. The music starts playing again, an ancient baroque canon I sometimes listened to in the dark.

I bet it won't take half an hour to get the internet connection up.

I'll see you on the other side. Good night, everyone. Triumphant dreams.

7 Comments:

At 1:45 AM, Blogger Dickolas Wang said...

Have a good flight, Balin. As a very wise man once said: I'll see YOU on the internet!

 
At 2:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

have fun~ i'm sure u'll enjoy princeton~ (once school starts and u're more settled in~)

who's that quote from?! lol

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Dickolas Wang said...

My quote? I don't know, but I think it's from my friend Steve. Too bad he's not more famous.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Thomas Nguyen said...

Bon Voyage, Balin! See you on the flip side.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger BKF said...

Hi again, everyone. I made it alive and unharmed. I'm quite tired after a long day so I won't say too much.

The flights were very boring, completely status quo, thank heavens. The only turbulence in the air (c.f. "bump in the road") was that I didn't know where they put my luggage when I arrived at Toronto. Turns out they have a dedicated carousel for people taking connecting flights to America. Curious. Getting through customs was a breeze, a lot of worry over nothing. Customs Man told me to say "hi" to John Nash.

After arriving in Newark I had another little fright when I called up the shuttle bus people to confirm the reservation only to find no trace of me in the database. This turned out just fine, though, since the lady on the phone booked me on an earlier bus. Huh. (Or: will turn out fine when the jerks don't bill my credit card anyway. They'd better not.) So I had a pleasant trip from Newark to Princeton, chatting with a couple of undergrads from the south, giving a playful personal exegesis of math and Canadians versus their manifestations in "popular consciousness." I think there was some disappointment that "aboot" was a myth and that Vancouver is not cold. However, the English major seemed to find the math jokes funny, so all's right there.

I was very thankful to have wheels etc. on my luggage. I think it would have been very painful to carry that weight (even if the luggage itself is a little heavy). I got into my room without incident. Then I went to get some water from the bathroom. Whoops. What can I say? I'm used to doors that don't swing shut, don't obstruct me from the washroom, don't automatically lock themselves after being opened with the key. I guess I'm just absentminded and a little sleepy.

I got back in, obviously, without too much hassle. Getting hooked up to the Internet was easy but it took a little while for all the data to propagate through the network host name database thingy.

All in all, not bad. Things seem a little askew here. The walls of this room seem pretty thick, which is good. Customer service people seem to hate people. I empathise. (I especially appreciate the exasperation here, after I've tendered my information: Woman: Please stand by your door. Me: I -- I'm not near my door. Woman: [pause, then disdainfully] Go to your door and....) But that's why I don't work in service. I have photos of some parts of the trip, nothing much. We'll see a few of them later. In the meantime, I've got to finish the business of moving in.

 
At 1:40 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

ray ban pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, coach outlet store online, ralph lauren uk, michael kors, coach purses, hollister pas cher, converse pas cher, nike air max, nike roshe run uk, kate spade, hogan outlet, nike free run, true religion outlet, ray ban uk, north face, replica handbags, burberry pas cher, coach outlet, new balance, true religion outlet, nike air max uk, hollister uk, polo lacoste, nike air max uk, nike free uk, oakley pas cher, air max, true religion outlet, michael kors pas cher, nike air force, michael kors outlet, nike roshe, jordan pas cher, michael kors, vans pas cher, lululemon canada, nike tn, timberland pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike blazer pas cher, abercrombie and fitch uk, louboutin pas cher, longchamp pas cher, north face uk, sac longchamp pas cher, sac hermes, guess pas cher, mulberry uk, true religion jeans

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

converse, canada goose, louis vuitton, converse outlet, vans, moncler outlet, moncler, pandora jewelry, toms shoes, replica watches, lancel, hollister, montre pas cher, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, karen millen uk, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler, links of london, pandora jewelry, canada goose jackets, louis vuitton, ugg pas cher, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, supra shoes, coach outlet, ugg, moncler outlet, hollister, pandora charms, canada goose, ugg uk, nike air max, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, ray ban, wedding dresses, barbour uk, canada goose outlet, pandora uk, canada goose outlet, canada goose, barbour, marc jacobs, doudoune moncler, moncler, gucci, thomas sabo, juicy couture outlet, canada goose uk, moncler uk, canada goose outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home